The Initial Situation
The refrigeration and air conditioning (RAC) sector is a massive cause of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide, which is largely due to the low energy efficiency of the devices and the high global warming potential of the refrigerants used.
The Green Cooling Initiative of the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) promotes the provision of climate-friendly and energy-efficient cooling solutions.
We have been looking after the portal since 2017, and in 2020 we were awarded the contract to relaunch, streamline and expand the functionality of the site.
The design process
- In preparatory workshops, the topic area was first illuminated, the target groups defined and prioritized, and a basic concept developed on this basis.
- As one of the key players in the field of green cooling, the initiative presents the topic in a clear and professional manner and thus offers a contact point for international experts as well as other interested users.
- In the form of wireframes, the most important pages, functions and content elements were coordinated and optimized with the client team.
- The wireframes were used to create an inital click dummy that allowed for initial testing early in the project.
- From the designed content elements, central pages and functions of the websites were built up as a proof-of-concept and later created as templates for the editorial team in TYPO3.
Conception and implementation
- The new TYPO3 website of the initiative has a clear, fresh and self-confident design.
- In terms of content, it offers a lot of dynamic content managed via a solr searchengine, which users can query and filter quickly and according to their needs - news articles, best practice examples, members of the global network as well as interesting publications and media content on the topics of the Green Cooling Initiative.
- The design and code of the content elements are based on a design system that leaves plenty of room for editorial work and at the same time enables a consistent appearance throughout.
- Design and function of elements are closely linked, so changes made in one place can easily be conjugated through all layers of an element.
The functional core of the site is an interactive world map that dynamically provides detailed information on the emission levels of individual countries in relation to cooling technologies - now and in perspective development. With the relaunch, the existing map was expanded to include editorial and user-friendly functions, the database was updated, and the appearance was adapted to the website's new design.
The design and technology of the website meet the requirements of WCAG 2.0 Level AA.
- URL: https://www.green-cooling-initiative.org/
- Customer: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Branch: Project - featured
- Technology: TYPO3 (Version 9.5)
- Work: Consulting, UX conception and design, front- and backend programming