The Initial Situation
"Gender in German Development" is a project of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) whose focus is on gender equality in German development cooperation.
The focus is on ten gender-sensitive sectors of development cooperation - analogous to the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. The website provides facts and figures on these sectors, shows examples of projects and presents tools that are used to show the current situation of the respective sector with regard to gender equality.
In the course of the relaunch, the website's profile and offering were to be updated and sharpened in order to provide different target groups with good access to qualified information.
Content & Design
In terms of content, the site has a clear focus on the topic of gender equality in development cooperation. This clear focus enables it to communicate the topic in an easily recognizable way. The editorial team would like to use this advantage to establish the website as a high-quality and up-to-date point of contact on the topic through its own and aggregated content.
- The site offers up-to-date basic information on eight key topics. Well-structured overviews as well as references to sources and numerous additional information for in-depth study of the topics.
- An interactive map presents projects and activities on gender issues in German development cooperation.
- A small quiz on the start page and a compact "Fact of the Month", offer even people unfamiliar with the subject an easy introduction to the topic.
- Since the content uses numerous technical terms, a glossary function has been integrated. Information on selected terms is displayed as a tooltip via mouseover.
- The database of experts, which is currently being set up, offers experienced consultants on gender issues in development cooperation a platform to introduce themselves and makes it easier to find suitable experts for current projects.
In terms of design, the website was to be on neutral ground between the initiators, the Deutsche Gesellscht für Internationale Zusammenarbeit and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation.
- In order to achieve this and an appealing presentation of the content, we developed a clear yet light formal language and a warm and friendly color concept that somewhat softens the coolness of the factual sector program.
- Since there are hardly any images to accompany the content, colored areas, illustrations, diagrams, content elements that can be used flexibly, and a varied page grid were used to provide a loosened-up and inviting presentation of the information.
The Technical Implementation
- We also used a design system for this website - design and function of elements are closely linked, so changes made in one place can easily be conjugated through all layers of an element.
- The site was implemented on the basis of TYPO3 in the latest version.
- The expert database was redesigned and rebuilt from scratch.
- The website was completely barrier-free.
- URL: https://gender-and-development.de
- Customer: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Branch: Project - featured
- Technology: TYPO3 (Version 10.4)
- Work: Consulting, UX conception and design, front- and backend implementation, database development